In northern Finland, uninterrupted heating of properties is a prerequisite due to severe winter frosts. Solid fuel conveyor chains, used in critical infrastructure, must be able to withstand the harsh operating conditions.
– Every year we have measured the elongation and wear of the transport chains. The previous chain had been running for 17 years and year 2023 it was time for a replacement. The requirement for the new chain for solid fuel transport was durability and long life, says Mikael Palosaari from Keminmaa Energia ja Vesi Oy.
A timely contact by FB Ketju’s seller Petri Heino resulted in a successful transaction.
– We have not used FB Ketju before. Petri happened to call me at the right time to suggest a demonstration visit.
Praise for the approach
According to Palosaari, FB Ketju made the whole process easy for the customer from the beginning.
– The FB Ketju’s people came on site to survey the condition of the old chain, defining and sizing the new chain. They took pictures of all the wheels and sprockets and used them to draw pictures that we didn’t have before. The FB Ketju made the buying process easier in every way and we give them a big credit for this approach.
– This kind of activity is normal for us, because we want to meet potential customers in person. I visited Keminmaa to introduce FB Ketjutekniikka Oy as a company and to see the inside of the heating plant. On the second visit, we checked the conveyor lines, during this time the plant processes must be stopped. In addition to seeing the chain to be replaced, we have to physically test, measure and calculate. Then we can make a quotation for a new chain once all the data has been collected in detail,” says Petri Heino.
The chain and all its accessories were delivered to the north within the promised timeframe, allowing the chain replacement to be completed as agreed with the subcontractor.
Did you know that:
- Keminmaa Energia ja Vesi Oy power plant produces 30-36 GWh of heat per year
- About 225 properties are covered by district heating, but a larger number of people in the municipality of Keminmaa are affected because of the housing associations.
- The conveyor chain supplied by FB Ketju has been in effective operation since September 2023.
- The fuel conveyor chain is made of more durable structural steel FB1000.
- A significant number of double chains were delivered for fuel feeding and ash handling conveyors.